What are SSL Certificates?
SSL stands for “Secure Sockets Layer” and an SSL certificate is a critical component to keeping your website safe, secured, and compliant.
How SSL Certificates Work?
Any ecommerce website must have an SSL certificate to ensure the safe handling of sensitive information, such as a customer’s personal and credit card information. By adding an SSL certificate, you not only protect your business but also increase customer confidence by safely encrypting your customers’ most sensitive data.
For online transactions, an SSL certificate turns sensitive data into encrypted secure code. The web browser then checks the SSL certificate to make sure that the website is legitimate. Once verified, the web browser and server processes the encoded information.
This helps to ensure that the sensitive data delivered between the web browser and server is handled safely, securely, and that the website is PCI (Payment Card Industry) compliant.
SSL Certificate Management
Having an SSL certificate is an integral part in protecting sensitive data in transit. And while SSL certificates provide additional layers of security, it can still be vulnerable and susceptible to attacks. This is where SSL certificate management comes in.
Proper SSL certificate management requires knowing the status of each certificate across sites, browsers, and networks. Through careful monitoring of these certificates, website owners can prevent major incidents from occurring, such as phishing and data breaches, which can not only be expensive to resolve but also cause long-term damage to your reputation with customers.
Let Us Protect Your Website
Thinking about getting an SSL certificate for your ecommerce website? Let us help keep your website safe, secured, and compliant. With our easy-to-follow SSL comparison table, you can effortlessly find the right SSL certificate that’s perfect for your website.
Whether you’re thinking about getting an SSL certificate to encrypt sensitive information, authentication, PCI compliance, to gain your customers trust, or to prevent phishing and data breaches, we have a wide-array of trusted brands to choose from.
How do I Install an SSL Certificate for my Website(s)?
Here are the steps to follow when installing an SSL certificate for your website(s) with us:
1. From the “myCP” homepage, click on “Account Options” and select “Order Upgrades / Add-Ons.”
2. Scroll down to the SSL certificate section and choose the SSL certificate you want, including the quantity and timeframe. Click “Next” once you’ve finalized on your SSL certificate.
3. Fill in all the required information on the SSL certificate order form:
- Contact First Name
- Contact Last Name
- SSL Domain Name
* Note: Enter the domain name using the SSL certificate (usually www.yourdomain.com).
- Company Name
- Company Address
- Company City
- Company State or Province
- Company Phone Number
- Company Postal / Zip Code
- Contact Email
4. Please create a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) if you are a dedicated server customer. Follow the link for additional details from SSL vendor for generating a CSR.
5. Before submitting the order, please ensure that the email “email@example.com” exists on your server where “example.com” is the site that you’re ordering the SSL certificate for.
6. Copy and paste the CSR into the designated area on the order form and click “Complete Order.”
Start now and easily compare SSL certificates from major brands like GeoTrust, Symantec, Comodo, and Rapid. See our SSL comparison table for additional details.