Featuring one of the processors that Superb offers in our dedicated servers, the Intel Woodcrest, this is a great article that compares three of the major server CPU manufacturers. In four years, AMD’s Opteron gained a 48% share of the US and a 36% share of the worldwide four socket server market. The response by IntelÂ to this pressure from competition was the Woodcrest chip. Some of the results:
- The new Woodcrest is about 20-25% faster than the fastest dual-core Opteron.
- AÂ 7% clockspeed advantageÂ (most likely a result of the fact that the Woodcrest was baked with a newer 65nm process).
- When it comes to integer performance, the Woodcrest numbers are simply stunning and vastly superior to any other architecture.
- Overall: The Intel Xeon 5160, a.k.a. Woodcrest, will simply be the most powerful server CPU this year
Intel Xeon 5160 (Woodcrest)
- Best server performance across all applications
- Best Performance/Watt in the high end
- Absolutely stunning web server performance
- FB-DIMM enables high RAM capacity and bandwidth (quad channel)
- Needs SSE optimized code for some special case code (RSA, AES)
- FB-DIMM adds extra latency, cost (small) and power
For the full article, see this link: http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2772